Sunday, May 25, 2008

On The Road

# 926 is licenced!

I've been in the middle of a pile of red tape trying to get my two bikes registered here in BC. As seems to be the case in all dealings with the govmint, (as with life) everyone tells you something different and the printed material has conflicting information in it.

ICBC, our provincial insurance corporation has done a search but found neither bike registered although one clerk told me that other Chargers were registered in BC in 1974.

I had to prepare a "statutory declaration" stating where I got the bike, how much I paid etc. and have it notarized. I did this for both bikes and got a package deal of $25. Nice. Shopping around paid off here because everywhere else was charging around $40 each.

The VIN on the bike is shorter than the normal VIN here but vintage motorcycles are exempt from getting a new 17 digit VIN.

The literature states that all motorcycles with no history of registration need to be inspected. The inspector at the independent designated inspection facility, told me that motorcycles older than 15 years do not require inspection. He said that this happened to one of his customers who paid to have his vintage bike inspected and then found out later it wasn't required. I called registration support who confirmed, "inspection required". I decided to try to register without the inspection and after the agent did some computer fiddling with the cc category, bingo! PLATES!!!1!

Going on my first spin today!

If anyone in BC wants advice on registering one of these bikes in BC feel free to contact me here.

11 comments:

Tim said...

Hey, just curious to know what Notary you used in Vancouver...

Marcus said...

I used the Notary at the Metrotown mall By the middle north facing entrance, ground level.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Marcus, are you allowed to ride the auranthetic on the streets here in the lower mainland ? if so, what does icbc charge for insurance or do they ?. i tried to figure out how icbc would classify these bikes. But all the info i read -classifies -e-bikes as low powered assisted bikes with pedals.any help would appreciated. thanks in advance, walt

Marcus Sabathil said...

These bikes are classified as limited speed motorcycles like 49cc scooters. It costs about $200 per year for me here on Bowen Island and all you need is a drivers license.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick reply Marcus, there's one for sale on van. craigslist. I've sent a reply to the add and am still waiting for a response.(no ph.# in the add)if i get it, i'll respond here. Thanks agian for the information.
My Regards , Walt (in Cloverdale)

Marcus said...

Make sure you get a bill of sale in writing with the vin#, sellers name, address and ph# and price paid. you will need that especially if the bike has never been registered. If it has the registration papers with it it will save you a bunch of hassles in getting it registered for the first time.

Marcus said...

Make sure the motor is working. A replacement will cost you between $250 and $450. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

well i guess it wasn't in the cards this time. c-list posting's deleted. i thank you for the info and i saved your blog to fav's. one question though - is there a quick test one can do to check the motor?(other than hauling 2 batteries around 8^) i've seen a few bikes pop up, but always with the promise of "just needs batteries". thanks again Marcus.
my best to you and yours ,
Walt

Pitch said...

Hi Marcus, Im glad I found your blog. Im about to get a 3-wheel Auranthetic from Utah and have it shipped to Ottawa. Do you think there will be a problem with customs? My regular shipper/mover (Crown Relocation) said he shipped a bike like this to Canada recently without a problem. Is bill of sale enough for importation to Ontario? My priority is to import it, and then may be plate it later if possible. Pitch from Ottawa

Pitch said...

Thanks in advance Marcus. Did you import your Auranthetic from the states as well? These bikes are so ahead of their time and I'd love to own it..now I have a chance..regards, Pitch

Bruce said...

Hello. Are you still readi g messages left here. I have. Two auranthetic chargers. One is licensed in b.c.