Monday, June 9, 2008

The Children of The rEVolution

Finally found a new motor for #12.  I was going to try to rewind the original KDB if I couldn't find a replacement but I just picked one up today. 

A Scott 12v 1 hp exactly the same motor style as a KDB.  They are almost identical in appearance with no extra flanges/fins to deal with. I have been waiting for one to come up on EBAY as I don't have the budget for a $535 unit from one of the EV suppliers.  I googled the 2 hp Scott part number and got a hit in Vancouver for 75$.  There was a web page specials list with a few Scott motors all for cheap.  When I phoned they had sold the last 2hp model 4BC2850 but still had a 12v 1hp model 4BC01368 in stock.  It seemed too good to be true, though, and sure enough when it came to the details they said they could only sell to a distributor. DANG!  I then dropped in to Drake Electric who were very helpful earlier in supplying me with rewinding supplies and advice and thankfully they agreed to order it for me plus $10 markup for a total of $85!  I was so happy, I gave them $100 and still got a smoking deal. Thanks Greg!  

Greg was furiously rebuilding a motor on his day off for a BC ferry contractor.  If the ferry does not run they get fined $40,000 so I guess paying through the nose for a rush job just ain't no thang. 

I realize the voltage is wrong but the motor should still work at 24v as long as I don't push it too hard.  Or since I don't have batteries yet I could get a couple of T-105 6Vs and practically double my range battery life (with a little judicious rewiring) 

Very soon we should be cruising side by side Auranthetic style!



No comments: