Monday, June 30, 2008

Baby's Got a Brand New Electric Motor Cooling Fan and Cover.

Ain't the web grand? I did a little googling for info on running PMDC motors on higher voltages (since the motor I found was made for 12V and the bike is 24) and found some excellent advice from a motor rebuilder at Hi-torque Electric. He recommended advancing the brushes and adding a cooling fan. I had already thought of making a new cap for the brush end of the motor because the original is not vented and I've been itching to do some custom metal fabrication.  

Before:

After:



Since fabbing the new cover, I've installed a 12V fan which I salvaged from my old Mac G3 power supply.  There are two fans in that supply, a 3", 200ma and a 4.5" .44a.  I installed the smaller fan first but I am planning a bigger diameter cover for the bigger fan that will extend past the brush holder and over the motor for even more "sensflow" cooling action.

As the kids say: "Sweeeeet" 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome restoration.

I found the auranthetic forum and noticed that you post there because of your discussions about parts being the same as your blog posts.

I am working on a Charger restoration, however, I don't have a charger system and am not sure what it even looks like. I understand that it plugs into the side of the non-gas tank, but that is all I know. Could you email me chris.l at chrislivengood.net I would like to ask you some questions.

DRT said...

Greetings!

I also have two Auranthetics, both in good running condition. I admit that the idea of burning out the motors is my main concern. Do you think the fan will make a significant difference?

When the two cycles are out together they do cause quite a stir.

Enjoyed your site!

Marcus said...

The cooling fan makes a big difference. Imagine your car without a fan. These motors were not designed for this application so they get hotter and hotter as you ride. A lot of that heat is generated by the brushes which are attached to that end of the motor.

When the motor gets hot the fan cools it off in a few minutes. As you may have noticed a KDB stays hot for a long time after you stop riding.

You still have to be careful about long hills but the fan gives you that extra bit of leeway.

kevin said...

I have met the original designer of the Auranthetic bikes. He has two brand new bikes that he is willing to sell to me. What is a fair price I can offer him without offending him, yet not paying tĘ” much for them. I am planing on displaying one of them in my office and ride one.